Monday, April 4, 2011

Hey Jude...

Yes, I do mean the “Hey Jude” of Beatle fame. I went to a Beatle tribute concert tonight performed by a band named, The Fab Four. I liked the Beatles in 1964 and I still do. A quick look around the venue and it is obvious that I am not alone in my appreciation of John, Paul, George and Ringo.

The auditorium was crowded with a wide spectrum of age groups. This was definitely an 8 to 80 fan base. Personally I was very happy to see that I was not the oldest in the audience. Everyone was having a good time rocking out to tunes that were more than 40 years old. That included my good friends Ed and Helen who were my hosts for the evening. This was the eighth time they had attended a concert by this band. They told me they thought The Fab Four was the best Beatle tribute band out there.


I’m thinking they “really like this band” to pay to see them eight times. I have never seen the same movie eight times, let alone the same band eight times. OK, so maybe I did see Caddy Shack eight times, but that is different, isn’t it?


But, I was wrong, or sort of wrong. You see Ed and Helen do love going to The Fab Four concerts but they also have gone to Rain and other Beatle cover groups. What they really love is the music of the Beatles. And so did about a 1,000 others in the auditorium tonight. What I witnessed tonight were people reacting to the messages in the songs. Love songs, fun songs, touching songs about life.


Because many in the audience were not alive during the Beatle years it could not be a generational thing. It was the fact that the lyrics touched everyone there, no matter what their age. Everyone there could relate to the songs. Songs with emotion. Songs about people.


About now you are probably saying to yourself, “I thought this was a business blog? What gives?”

I will get to my point. I think it is vital to understand this lesson from the Beatles when it comes to communicating. Whether the message is crafted for your customers or potential customers I think that it must include emotional content. A sales message that is strictly about price or product specifics is missing the mark. No matter how high tech the product offering and no matter how attractive the price if you are not connecting with your customers on some emotional level you are falling short. You must remember that in the end it is about a human being making a decision to buy your product, try your restaurant or contact you for more information. Find a way to connect with people and you will find that price, product specs and everything else is secondary.


The Beatles said; “All you need is love.” Remember that the next time you create a message to you customers. Find a way to touch them and to show the human side of your company.


Do you have any examples of how you communicate with emotion?  Please share your examples by posting here.

No comments:

Post a Comment