Saturday, July 16, 2011

How I Spent My Summer Vacation.

I just finished a 2,200 mile, 7 state road trip and have a few observations I would like to share with you. Though I was supposed to be on vacation, my business instincts and observations never turn off. I am pretty sure to most business people, especially small business people this is a universal trait.

During this vacation we stayed in a wide range of properties. The highest rated 5 stars (Sundance) and the lowest was unrated. I found conclusively that customer service, quality of service and my overall satisfaction had nothing to do with stars, diamonds or any rating service. It also did not have anything to do with what we paid which was true for lodging and food..


My greatest disappointment was with the “world class resort”, Sundance resort, which was not. And my greatest surprise came from a small lodge in the mountains of Utah called Red Canyon Lodge.


The single factor that clearly ruled my thought process was how we were treated by the staff. Yes, Sundance Resort is a stunning property but there we felt like we were a necessary annoyance to a very large staff. At Red Canyon Lodge we were treated like very welcome guests by a much smaller staff. Attitude from Sundance...sincerity from Red Canyon. No contest.


It does not matter so much how many millions you spent building your business when it can all be changed by poor attitude from the staff.


Don’t let that happen to your business. We all need to make sure everyone on our team are properly trained, know what’s expected of them, and most importantly wants to be there.


So how did you spend your summer vacation?  Please share your story.

No comments:

Post a Comment